Connect with us

Uncategorized

Bellator 281 results, highlights: Logan Storley outpoints Michael Page to earn interim welterweight crown

Published

on


Bellator MMA

Heading into his Bellator 281 main event against Michael “Venom” Page for the interim welterweight championship, Logan Storley knew that an exciting fight would likely be a bad thing for him. By largely grinding the action to a halt, Storley executed his gameplan against his explosive opponent, earning a split decision victory.

Throughout the fight, Storley had to figure out ways to close the distance on Page, who is a rangy and unorthodox striker with big knockout power. Whenever Storley was able to get inside, he would clinch and hold on to Page while trying to drag him to the ground. Storley was rarely able to truly put Page on his back but his insistence on neutralizing Page’s striking with pure grappling did pay off.

After three rounds that truly could have gone to either fighter, depending on if you wanted to reward Page for brief moments of striking or Storley for prolonged stretches of dragging his opponent toward the canvas, Page looked to finally have his offense rolling in Round 4, picking apart Storley at range with quick strikes. Still, Storley was able to eat those shots and come back with his own most dominant round in Round 5.

Advertisement

After five largely uneventful rounds of action, the fight went to the judges’ scorecards where there was no guarantee which fighter would have his hand raised. Two of the three official judges saw the fight for Storley, handing him the win by scores of 48-47, 47-48, 49-46.

“That guy is unbelievable and I had to do what I had to do,” Storley said after the fight. “Boo me all you want but I’m a world champ.” 

Storley is now 14-1 in his career, his lone defeat coming to Yaroslav Amosov via split decision. Amosov would go on to become the division champion before being forced out of action due to the ongoing conflict in his native Ukraine. Amosov’s lack of availability led to the interim title being on the line for the fight.

Advertisement



Source link

Uncategorized

NFL odds: Bettors back surprising player to win MVP

Published

on




Bettors are backing a player for NFL MVP though he has only started two games. Read about the QB getting more bets than Rodgers and Mahomes.



Source link

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Nebraska ending balloon tradition over helium shortage

Published

on




Releasing balloons at Huskers’ home games has long been a point of contention.



Source link

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Canelo Alvarez next fight: Mexican superstar set for trilogy bout with Gennadiy Golovkin in September

Published

on


It appears that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is going to settle things with his greatest rival before rematching Dmitry Bivol. Alvarez announced on Tuesday that he will to honor his previous agreement to rematch Gennadiy Golovkin in a September trilogy bout before attempting to avenge his recent loss to Bivol.

Alvarez will battle Golovkin on Sept. 17 at a location and venue to be determined. The bout is expected to be for Alvarez’s four world titles at super middleweight. It will air live on DAZN PPV.

Earlier in the year, Alvarez signed a two-fight deal with DAZN, with the first fight against Bivol for the WBA light heavyweight title and the second a third meeting with Golovkin. After Bivol upset Alvarez on May 7, turning in a stellar performance in outboxing the man who entered the fight as boxing’s pound-for-pound king, it appeared Alvarez would choose to rematch Bivol rather than take on Golovkin.

Advertisement

However, Alvarez stated the fight with Golovkin would take place first while speaking at his golf invitational on Monday.

“We already had that contract [with Golovkin], that agreement, so we have to continue what we started, and I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol,” Alvarez said at a press conference, which took place on Monday to promote a business venture, according to ESPN Deportes. “Unfortunately, we lost, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to try again.

“The important thing here is perseverance and we’re going to do it again. What is certain is that we are going to return in September. And in the coming days … we are going to announce the fight.”

Alvarez’s previous two fights with Golovkin both ended in controversy. Their first meeting in September 2017 was a close fight that many felt Golovkin had done enough to win. Golovkin was given one scorecard 115-113, another was a 114-114 draw, and somehow, Alvarez was awarded the third on a wide 118-110 card that in no way reflected the reality of the fight.

After the split draw, the pair rematched the following September. Again, the fight was very competitive, and again, many observers felt that Golovkin had done enough to deserve a narrow decision victory. This time, however, Alvarez was given the majority decision win, taking two cards by scores of 115-113 with the third even at 114-114.

Advertisement

Fans have clamored for a third fight for years but Alvarez instead unified three belts at middleweight, won the WBO light heavyweight championship against Sergey Kovalev and unified all four belts at super middleweight.

Since the loss to Alvarez in the rematch, Golovkin has won four straight, including unifying the IBF and WBA world championships at middleweight.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending